Converting a cordless tool battery to use a cord – chapter 1
Some time ago my father gave me several cordless tools that he had retired. They where pretty much on their last legs and he was moving over to the then, new lithium ion type batteries.
I appreciate cordless tools for their handiness, but overall my experience with them is that they don’t run long enough and the batteries stop taking a full charge way before I feel like they’ve paid for themselves. My understanding is the lithium batteries are better about holding a charge and can be recharged many more times than the Ni-Cd battery used for this project.
Why the Cordless to Corded Conversion?
I have several AC corded drills, so I don’t really “need” to build a corded, cordless drill. What I didn’t have was a 1/4 impact driver. This is a tool that I didn’t have a use for until I used one, now I don’t know how I got by without it. The cordless tools my dad gave me included a 1/4 impact driver, two 14.4v batteries. One battery was a Dewalt that works enough for quick tasks, the other was after market copy of the Dewalt, and it’s dead as a door nail.
Frankly the impact driver isn’t worth buying a new $60+ battery for, it makes more since to replace the driver and battery with a new one, but since I have the dead battery, Converting it over to use a cord looks like a fun project.
I’ve seen other people do projects like this, but for the most part they’ve converted drills to run off a remote power supply. That’s what this project is, except I want to convert the 1/4 impact driver. From what I can tell 1/4 impact drivers are always cordless, unlike drills that are easy to find in both formats.
Disassembly and evaluation of the battery components
Making Rough Measurements
- Just for fun I put a small socket on my 1/2 inch pneumatic impact gun and tried using it as a driver. It worked, but it’s definitely too powerful, heavy and large to use for long in that roll. I didn’t test to failure, but my guess is that it would shear the .25″ conversion parts pretty quickly.
Index – Converting a 14.4v Battery to Corded DC Power Supply
- Converting a cordless tool battery to use a cord – chapter 1
- Converting a cordless tool battery to use a cord – chapter 2
- Converting a cordless tool battery to use a cord – chapter 3
- Stay tuned for – chapter 4